The L.V.N.-Charge Nurse provides direct nursing care to Skilled Nursing residents while overseeing services/operations of an assigned group on a given shift. Responsible for compliance with current federal, State, local and facility standards, guidelines and regulations that govern the Skilled Nursing unit and ensuring the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
1. Directs and renders nursing care within an assigned group participating in the execution the overall plan of care for each resident.
2. Maintains timely, accurate, and complete reporting and recording of information regarding condition of each resident (daily charting, weekly summaries, noting of physicians orders, medication and treatment charting, consent forms, MDS, etc.).
3. Communicates a change in condition to physicians, supervisor, DON and responsible party.
4. Plans, organizes and conducts the administration of medications and or treatments in compliance with state and federal regulations.
5. Reviews medication orders and medication sheets for completeness and accuracy of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician orders, and adherence to stop order policies.
6. Ensure that narcotic / controlled medication records are accurate for your shift. Notifies the DON of all drug and narcotic discrepancies noted on given shift.
7. Monitors dietary intake of residents by supervising the meal service as assigned. Checks all trays for accuracy of special diets before trays are served to residents.
8. Distributes work to nursing assistants in assigned group while ensuring all care is appropriate, reflects nursing protocol and is provided on an individualized basis according to each resident’s personal, psychosocial and medical needs.
9. Helps in the orientating/training of new Nursing unit staff. Provides department management with feedback on Nursing staff job performance.
10. Assists with direct resident care when needed. (i.e., assist with lifting, transferring, turning residents).
11. Monitors Nursing staff for compliance with federal and State regulations related to resident’s dignity and rights issues.
12. Follows facility protocol for reporting allegations of resident abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property to the Director of Nursing (DON).
13. Complies with facility policies, procedures and nursing systems that ensure consistent delivery of care and maintains and promotes resident dignity and rights.
14. Participates in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies as may be requested.
15. Participates in the facility’s QAPI Program as needed and assigned.
1. Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing.
2. Current CA – LVN license (License Vocational Nurse).
3. Valid CPR and First Aide certification.
4. Practical knowledge of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines that pertain to long term care.
5. Ability to demonstrate good theory base as well as good clinical skills and participates in delivering direct resident care as needed.
6. Must possess supervisory ability to plan, organize and schedule work tasks and duties for assigned staff.
7. Good communication skills.
8. Must be able to easily interpret program, goals, objectives, policies and procedures necessary to providing quality care to residents.
9. Performs well with minimal supervision and organizes work load so that assigned duties and resident care can be completed within the guidelines and according to facility policies and procedures as well as state and federal regulations.
10. Basic computer knowledge and skills. Experience in Point Click Care preferred.
11. Ability to read, write and communicate to residents, staff, families, vendors, and all business relationships in English language.
12. Ability to pass a criminal background clearance check, physical, and TB test.
13. Must be able to communicate with all levels of staff in an effective, neutral and professional manner.
14. Ability to function as a member of the team in a multi-task environment.
15. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and changing conditions.