The Groundskeeper II performs as a lead Groundskeeper, directing, coordinating, scheduling and inspecting grounds maintenance work while performing a variety of grounds keeping functions to maintain the cleanliness, functionality, and aesthetic appeal of all outdoor areas.
- Assists in directing, coordinating and scheduling grounds maintenance work.
- Inspects work assignments of immediate crew for quality control and completion of tasks.
- Responsible for weed management, sod laying, planting, fertilizing, watering, cultivating, and raking.
- Cuts, trims/edges and prunes plants, hedges, bushes, trees, and lawns.
- Maintains building exterior, sidewalks, and parking areas by cleaning and disposing of debris and trash properly.
- Operates and maintains equipment used for grounds maintenance and repair including ATVs, mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc.
- Performs basic preventative and corrective grounds maintenance/repair tasks.
- Operates sprinkler system and performs minor irrigation repairs.
- Tends to seasonal needs of walkways and other site-specific structures like fountains, seating areas, fences and buildings.
- May make recommendations for the selection of grounds equipment and materials.
- Assist other maintenance staff with maintenance repairs or projects as needed.
- Works “on-call” as needed and assigned for emergency troubleshooting and repairs.
NON ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Keeps the grounds in a clean, safe and attractive manner.
- Keeps work areas and storage rooms neat and orderly.
- Utilizes the appropriate chemicals and supplies according to procedure.
- Ensures equipment is in proper working order at all times.
- Follows established safety rules and policies and procedures of the maintenance department.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain business/professional boundaries with all staff, management and outside vendors.
- Attends and participates in department meetings and other required trainings.
- Adheres to company and departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs and assists with other related duties and special projects as required and assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two (2) years’ experience in grounds-keeping.
- Must have valid California driver license.
- Skill to coordinate and direct Grounds staff.
- Ability to develop short and medium range grounds development plans.
- Knowledge of proper gardening techniques.
- Knowledge of plants, ornamental species, weeds and other undesirable plant species.
- Knowledge and skill to operate commonly used grounds equipment and tools.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain automatic sprinkler systems and controllers and PVC piping.
- Ability to read and follow written instructions on labels for proper and safe use of chemicals, supplies, and equipment.
- Ability to read, write and communicate to residents, staff, families, vendors, and all business relationships in English language.
- Ability to pass a criminal background clearance check, physical, and TB test.
- Must be able to communicate with all levels of staff in an effective, neutral and professional manner.
- Ability to function as a member of the team in a multi-task environment.
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and changing conditions.